Monday, March 24, 2008

e-vo for week of March 26

Dearest e-votees-

I am out of the office for a few days and I wanted to send this before I left town.

Have a blessed Easter season celebration. "Christ is risen!"

Peace,
Karl

------------

Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight. Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names upon my lips. The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I keep the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also rests secure. For you do not give me up to Sheol, or let your faithful one see the Pit. You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 16, NRSV


This is the appointed psalm for this coming Sunday. It is also the source material for Peter's quote in Acts 2:25b-28 when he is talking about Jesus.

The people had put many hopes on King David and his lineage. Peter makes reference to the fact that his tomb is well known to the audience. David wasn't able to do much for the people anymore. But someone in David's line would. Someone David wrote about himself in Psalm 16. Someone who did not end up stuck in Sheol or in the Pit.

David's tomb is full--Jesus' tomb is empty.

David lived a life of faith that was stained with sin--Jesus lived a faithful life and stained a wooden cross with his innocent blood for our sin.

David wrote beautiful words about the Messiah--Jesus is the Word, the Messiah, through whom all things came to be.

David offered hope--Jesus is our hope.

God, we thank you for the life and witness of David. We praise you for the life and death and restored life of Jesus. Help us witness to that hope. Amen.

No comments: