Tuesday, January 13, 2009

e-vo for week of January 14

Dearest e-votees-

As you know, these devotions are usually connected to the assigned readings of the Revised Common Lectionary (RCL). This week, however, I beg your indulgence as we look at the assigned psalm for this coming Sunday (Epiphany 2, year B) but look at the verses that were left on the cutting room floor as the lectionary was assembled.

May your week be blessed.

Peace,
Karl

------------------------

Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,” even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you.

O that you would kill the wicked, O God, and that the bloodthirsty would depart from me—those who speak of you maliciously, and lift themselves up against you for evil! Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139:7-12 & 19-24, NRSV


The NRSV sometimes adds captions to sections of scripture. They aren’t found in the original language but offer a summary of the scriptural section to follow. The caption for Psalm 139 is “The Inescapable God.” What a wonderful descriptor of our God who does not leave us stuck in the aftermath of our sinful dispositions.

There is no where we can go to escape from God. There is nothing we can do to make God love us less. There is nothing we can do to make God love us more. There is no secret that we can keep from God. There is no secret place that lies beyond the touch of God’s grace and mercy. If we attempt to flee from God we will find ourselves tired and as close as ever to the forgiveness of God brought to bear in our lives through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

The second portion of lectionary excised verses from Psalm 139 show the darker side of the psalmist. And the darker side of us too. We long for harm to come to those who harm us. We draw lines in the sand with us and God on the same side (or so we think). We proclaim our faithfulness to God (like Peter did to Jesus). We proclaim our innocence while we level blame upon those around us.

If there is no place where we can flee from God’s mercy why do we think those we deem to be God’s enemies will have any more success than we in running away. Jesus states from the cross “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing”. (Luke 23:34) Those gracious words of forgiveness come to bear in our lives. Those words come to bear in the lives of others as well.

God does know and test our hearts. There is indeed wickedness in us. Nonetheless, God chases after us with love undeterred. That is the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And through that persistent love our hearts can be changed.


God, teach us to stop running and trust your love. Teach us to chase after others that they might trust your love. Thank you that you make your enemies, including us, into your friends and family. Amen.

No comments: