Thursday, February 5, 2009

e-vo for week of February 4

Dearest e-votees-

I have always been partial to impressive demonstrations of camouflage in nature—walking sticks, counter-shading in fish and clever displays of mimicry amaze me.

In our epistle lesson for this coming Sunday the apostle Paul takes on the form of a chameleon of sorts as well. But his role isn’t so much to hide as to help hide the good news of the gospel in the hearts of all that he encounters.

Peace,
Karl

--------------

If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel. For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

1 Corinthians 9:16-23, NRSV



Paul clearly proclaims he is free but nonetheless takes on the role of a slave that the gospel might be brought to bear in the lives of others. This move resonates strongly with Jesus being in very nature God yet taking on the form of a slave (see Philippians 2:5-11 aka The Christ Hymn). I wonder how free we truly are. I wonder how willing we are to forego our freedoms that another might come to know and love the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Are you free? Are you willing?

I don’t think Paul is being deceptive so much as adaptive. He encounters many people through his tent-making ministry and finds ways to connect with as many as possible. He seems to be one who would be equally comfortable at the podium of the United Nations or on the assembly line or in a smoky bar or in an overcrowded emergency room. He truly believes that he has the obligation and privilege and commission to freely preach the gospel.

  • Do we believe the good news of the gospel?
  • If so, do we believe that it is good news for others?
  • If so, do we believe that we have an obligation to share that good news with others?
  • If so, do we sense that it is a privilege to bear this obligation?
  • If so, do we trust that God has commissioned us to live out this obligation and privilege?

The last words of the gospel of Matthew ought to continue to ring in our ears:

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Matthew 28:16-20, NRSV



God, you are with us always to the end of age—including everywhere we go today. Use us to enter into the worlds of others bearing the privilege and responsibility to share the gospel. Give us courage and good cheer all to your glory. Amen.

No comments: