Wednesday, April 29, 2009

e-vo for week of April 29

Dearest e-votees-

The appointed psalm for the coming Sunday (the 4th Sunday of Easter, year B) is the beloved and familiar 23rd psalm. May we continue to be blessed as we abide in the goodness of the Lord, our shepherd. And may we in turn bless others.

I have a hard time reading this psalm without having my mind and soul drawn towards the theme song of the Vicar of Dibley which is a beautifully arranged version of the 23rd psalm. This would be a great piece of music to suggest to your choir director. You can hear it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZN1oVir5A

Or better yet, add the series to your library and have some heartwarming laughs whenever you wish.

Peace,
Karl

----------------------

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;

he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.


Psalm 23, NRSV


What comes to mind when you read "You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies"?

Is that a sign of taunting and flaunting of abundance before a vanquished foe?

Or is that a place of extending grace and hospitality to those who might otherwise be cut off and shunned?

In other words are we called to extend friendship and reconciliation to those who were once enemies? That seems very much like the summary of what Jesus came to do in his life, ministry, death and resurrection. Is that solely something the Lord did for David years ago or is it something that we are called to do to this very day? Are we to be inviting others into the house of the Lord to dwell with us all the days of their lives?

John 14:2 offers good news to those looking for a place. Hopefully our communities and our preaching do the same. Hopefully our personal conduct and our lives do that as well.

I have long appreciated the practice of leaving an empty chair at a table (as is done at the Seder meal for Elijah) or in a group meeting as a tangible reminder that there are others who still need to come. Hospitality and other-mindedness are important facets of the Christian existence. Perhaps part of preparing a table in the presence of one's enemies is so that they will sit down at the table and be enemies no longer.


God, give us hearts and eyes and spines and inclinations towards reconciliation. Thank you for welcoming us to your gracious banquet table. How could we do any less at the tables in our lives? Amen.

No comments: