Wednesday, May 13, 2009

e-vo for week of May 13

Dearest e-votees-

Our gospel lesson for this week picks up right where last week's left off. Jesus is still speaking (and using some abides). But the word for the week has clearly shifted from abide to love.

Peace,
Karl

--------

“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.”


John 15:9-17, NRSV


Maundy Thursday comes from the command given by Jesus for the disciples to love one another in John 13:34. Our appointed text for this Sunday comes from the same discourse. Jesus offers some insight into what that loving one another might look like.

Jesus is drawing near to the cross and preparing his followers for what is to come. He is giving some of his final instructions and guidance. Jesus tells his disciples who are having this Last Supper with him that they are no longer servants but friends.

The bottom line is this Jesus tells his friends (and us too) to abide (to stay connected and to stay around) and to love (to offer ourselves sacrificially even to the point of death).

There isn't an expiration date on these words. They are still should be at work in our lives. Sometimes stresses come into our lives that fire up the reptilian/primitive brain in us. Our reaction to things that bear down upon us is instinctually to fight or flight. Jesus calls us to love and linger.

Had Jesus wanted to fight off those who came to crucify him he could have done so easily. Had Jesus wanted to flee so that those with the hammer and the spikes couldn't find him that would have been no trouble. Jesus chose differently.

Jesus chose to love and linger. Over the meal he instituted communion and washed the feet. In the garden he healed the ear that was hacked off hastily by one of the dinner guests who apparently missed some of the dinner conversation. On the cross he spoke words of forgiveness and reconciliation.

Jesus calls us to choose differently too. As things press into us and bring stress we can press into Jesus who can and will equip us to love and abide.


God, form us into the kinds of friends you want us to be for you. May love win the day. May we abide in you and your ways. Amen.

No comments: