Thursday, July 1, 2010

e-vo for week of June 30

Dearest e-votees-

Saturday (July 3) is the appointed day to commemorate the disciple Thomas. For those of you who will be in church on Saturday and who are following the appointed lectionary lessons for that day you will hear John 14:1-7 read.

For those of us who won’t be in church on that day I thought we might linger with that text as well in our devotional focus this week.

I will be out of the office on a service-mission trip with a group going to Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Montana this coming week. I will send out next week’s e-vo in advance later today as well. Please keep our trip in your prayers.

Have a blessed celebration of Independence Day. May we all remember how Christ has called us to use those freedoms and liberties.

Peace,
Karl

-------------------------

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

John 14:1-7, NRSV


Thomas doesn’t get a whole lot of lines in the gospels. The few that are most remembered are poorly categorized and over-emphasized. He gets labels such as “doubter”. Doubting and skepticism and asking the hard questions are underrated. Thomas is the example of a faithful one who asks real and important questions. When I think of Thomas my mind is drawn to essays such as Fighting Over the New Testament by Gordon Atkinson (aka RealLivePreacher). I am glad to count Thomas among one of our brothers in the faith.

Thomas’ other quote that seems to get lost as people chide him for being a doubter is John 11:16: Thomas, who was called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” Those sound like pretty faithful and courageous words to me. How about to you?

I taught for 7 years in public high school. I have spent some time in the little desks in the classroom too. I appreciate people who ask aloud the questions that everyone are asking in their heads. Thomas strikes me as such a student in our text today. Jesus is talking about going and coming again. Thomas doesn’t get where he is going. There are many times in the gospel of John where Jesus talks about going and people not knowing the way. Thomas asks the questions many of us would ask—where are you going Jesus? How can we get where you are going? How can we know the right way? How can we avoid the wrong way? How can we know we’ll be together? How can we follow after you better?

Jesus responds that it comes in terms of relationships. If we know Jesus we will know the Father. Jesus tends to our relationship with God the Father. Jesus enables, creates and sustains our relationship with God the Father. Baptism and communion are essential to that relationship. Studying scripture is too. In John Jesus pierces locked walls and stony hearts to greet the disciples with a “Peace be with you.” When Thomas wants sure proof that Jesus has really risen from the dead (seems reasonable to me) Jesus offers that to him. When Thomas and the others are out fishing Jesus comes and meets them and feeds them breakfast on the beach (loaves and fishes, interesting) and offers restoration. Jesus offers assurance and all manner of sustenance to Thomas. Jesus offers it to us as well.

Thomas is a faithful follower who asks questions, needs assurance and displays courage and perseverance. How blessed we would all be if we could be more like this Thomas.


God, we thank you for the life and testimony of Thomas. Help us to know well that Jesus is indeed the way and the truth and the life. Calm our troubled hearts and continue to show us the way. Amen.

No comments: