Tuesday, February 15, 2011

e-vo for week of February 16

Dearest e-votees-

I apologize for my devotional silence over the last two weeks. I had a major computer meltdown which hindered the process. It should not be an issue anymore.

I hope and pray you had a blessed Valentines Day surrounded by friends and family and loved ones.

Peace,
Karl

---------------------

33 Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. 34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. 35 Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. 36 Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. 37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. 38 Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. 39 Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good. 40 How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.

Psalm 119:33-40, NIV

Our appointed Psalm for this Sunday is one about praying for God’s rules and constraints and restrictions to have their full effect on the psalmist.

How many of us pray that God will turn us from doing our own things in order that we might do the things ordained by God? How many of us truly desire that God’s statutes would trump our desire for selfish gain? How many of us, deep down, want to know God’s decrees and laws and statutes in order that we might follow them more properly? Sure we all pray “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy will be done…” but really and truly do we mean it? Really?!?

We live in a place and a time with great freedoms. There are an abundance of worthless things that dangle in front us beckoning an unholy coveting. Someone must be buying all that schlock of the late-night infomercial realms. Most of our treasures and baubles aren’t worth so very much in the grand scheme of things either. We are in so many ways groomed to look out for ourselves in spite of others and often at their expense. We are taught to live for the day, seize the moment and to drink life to the dregs. While inspiring and vivid, these mantras can easily become license to do what we feel and leave a wake of carnage in the lives around us.

The one who really got the prayer was the one who prayed “Take this cup from me. But not my will but thine be done.” He poured himself out fully for those who were still busy drinking life to the dregs. He poured himself out fully for those who were toasting his grisly death. He poured himself out fully in that last meal where he said “This cup is the new covenant of my blood which is given and shed for all people for the forgiveness of sins.” Jesus took the cup in that garden and drank it to the dregs.

Jesus taught us the prayer that teaches us to seek after God’s will. Jesus prays that prayer in ways that we can’t or won’t. Jesus lives the live in ways that we can’t or won’t. Jesus takes away the disgrace that often we don’t even have the sense enough to dread. Jesus preserves our lives in his righteousness. Thanks be to God.

God, shape us to be your people. Help us drink fully the cup of grace that is Jesus. Help us invite others to the table. Draw us after you—all to your glory. Amen.

No comments: