Wednesday, November 21, 2012

e-vo for week of November 21

Dearest e-votees-

Have a blessed time of Thanksgiving with friends and family.

Peace,
Karl

----------------------

33 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?" 34 Jesus answered, "Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?" 35 Pilate replied, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?" 36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here." 37 Pilate asked him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."

John 18:33-37, NRSV

This coming Sunday is the last of the church year. The year ends with the world and how it understands power and authority colliding with Jesus and how he exercises power and authority.

In a few short chapters of John Jesus will be exalted on the cross. Jesus wins by losing. Jesus triumphs by being crushed. Jesus attains what we could not by giving away what we would not.

Pilate can’t wrap his head nor his heart around the way in which Jesus chooses to rule the world—love, sacrifice and submission.

Jesus speaks truth. A truth that Pilate can’t comprehend. A truth the world opts to silence in exchange for Barabbas. A truth that can get lost in the jingle and jangle of the holidays and the merchants selling their wares. A truth that our unredeemed selves has little to no time for.

Yet Jesus speaks the truth. And even more Jesus is the truth. This truth won’t stay silent. This truth won’t stay dead. This truth bears a royal and saving message to all who would hear. God redeems us and redeems all that we might hear and listen and change.


God, have your way with us. Help us follow your way and be your way in the world. Your Kingdom come. Amen.

No comments: