Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 40 of 90 Devotion

Dearest e-votees-

Day forty of our cover to cover voyage through the Bible. If you want to see the readings for our trip through the Bible you can follow this link:

www.christthegoodshep.org/biblein90days.html

Peace,
Karl

--------------

Day 40 Readings: Psalm 25:1-45:14

Our Psalm readings are rich and full. Some of them are source material for Jesus and what transpired on and before the cross:

Psalm 41:9 "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me." (Judas)

Psalm 34:20 "he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken" (see John 19:36)

Psalm 35:15-16 "But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee; attackers gathered against me when I was unaware. They slandered me without ceasing. Like the ungodly they maliciously mocked; they gnashed their teeth at me."

Psalm 31:5 "Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth."

These are some of the more obvious connections with Jesus and his passion. All of these psalms speak of one longing to live a life of devotion to God and what can beset such a one. Jesus was more than just a physical descendant of David. Their hearts and their prayers seem to resonate quite a bit as well. As we linger in the songs, hymns and prayers of David we are drawn into the passion, prayers and deep and abiding relationship between Jesus and the Father. That same relationship that Jesus prayed us into in John 17.

Jesus was fully God. Jesus was fully human. Jesus' use of the psalms help us draw near to that humanity that he chose to draw near to us. May we grow in our ability to inhabit, pray and find hope in the book of Psalms.


God, help us to linger in your prayerbook. Teach us to pray more like Jesus. Teach us to endure more like Jesus. Teach us to abide in you more like Jesus. But, mostly, help us to trust no one, including ourselves, more than Jesus. Amen.

No comments: