Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 84 of 90 Devotion

Dearest e-votees-

Day eighty-four of our cover to cover voyage through the Bible. We have completed 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon. (57 down, 9 to go) If you want to see the readings for our trip through the Bible you can follow this link:

www.christthegoodshep.org/biblein90days.html

Peace,
Karl

--------------

Day 84 Readings: 1 Thessalonians 1:1-Philemon 25

Included in today's reading is a marvelous passage that has been good for me over the years when tempted to get covetous:

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. Fro the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

1 Timothy 6:3-5, NIV


Now I will grant that this is a much more palatable verse as one who was born into a wealthy country as a person of privilege into a family with the ability to provide for me. I would be leery of preaching this verse carelessly at someone in a much different situation. God cares very much about those without on the fringes and on the brink. How we treat such folks and such situations says much about how we treat Jesus. Matthew 25 and James 2 have much to say to us in those regards.

But for myself this verse convicts me. It is easy to look at what the neighbors have and want some of that. I have so much food at my disposal (and in my disposal but that is another matter). I have sufficient clothing. I have a roof over my head. I have people who love me dearly. I have so much more than I could ever deserve. They all come from the hand of our gracious God. How sad if I spend my time and thoughts desiring what I don't have rather than being exceedingly grateful for what I do have.

Rather than seeking a share of what someone else has I would spend my time much better seeking what I do have with those in need.

When we pray for daily bread it is not just for us. That bread is sufficient to share (see any of the loaves and fishes examples).

We are so blessed. A spiritual discipline of contentedness a worthy goal. Perhaps that will bring into our lives measure of the godliness that is so needed.


God, thank you. Stir us to thank you all the more and share deeply of your bounty. Amen.

No comments: