Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 89 of 90 Devotion

Dearest e-votees-

Day eighty-nine of our cover to cover voyage through the Bible. We have read the Bible. If you want to see the readings for our trip through the Bible for old time's sake you can follow this link:

www.christthegoodshep.org/biblein90days.html

Peace,
Karl

--------------

Day 89 Readings: none (grace day)

We have finished. Well done. It seems only fitting to quote St. Paul:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

2 Timothy 4:7-8, NIV


When I ran cross country and track in high school I didn't often find myself at the very front of the pack. Winning wasn't something that I was able to claim. But finishing, yes indeed. I never dropped out of a race. It might have taken a while but I was able to finish the race (and often even to claim I fought the good fight).

We have been on a tear through the pages of scripture. The goal, as evidenced by the name, was to get through the Bible in 90 Days. I took more like 97. I didn't win any races but I finished. Hopefully you did too. If not, keep going. Keep going.

We don't win things by reading scripture, nor by praying properly or often enough, nor by attending the right church or attending often enough. We don't win. The winning took place on a dark Friday long ago. The winning took place through an empty tomb on a joyous Sunday long ago. We don't win. But we are called and invited to follow after the one who conquered sin, death and the devil. We follow after the one who won.

We follow by taking up our own crosses. We follow by singing, prayer, learning and acting. We follow step by step, day by day, mile by mile. Eventually we will receive a crown of righteousness from Jesus. And what shall we do with that crown? Perhaps we can take a cue from the elders in Revelation 4 and cast them at the feet of Jesus. He deserves honor and praise. He fought the good fight. He finished the race. He kept the faith. We receive his reward. It is only fitting we return it back to him.


God, thank you for carrying us through your Word and through this life. Help us always give praise to you. Amen.

No comments: