Thursday, January 16, 2014

e-vo for week of January 15

Dearest e-votees-

I am going to break from the usual pattern for this week. Generally I pick one of the assigned lessons for the upcoming Sunday from the RCL (or sometimes a special commemoration day of the church that falls in the week). But for this week I want to draw your attention to a truly remarkable story.

I would like to commend to you the film Philomena.

This story is pointed in its critique, funny and deeply insightful about issues of faith and forgiveness. Your time will be well spent if you see this film.

Peace,
Karl

----------

13 For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me,when none of them as yet existed.

17 How weighty to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

18 I try to count them—they are more than the sand; I come to the end—I am still with you.

Psalm 139:13-18, NRSV

The psalmist writes about the intimacy between the created and the creator. But also about the intimacy between a child and mother. A deep and abiding bond is created. The works are wonderful and fearful. And the creator and the parent have hopes and dreams written for the lifetime that is to come. Weighty thoughts and affections and hopes and love are present. They are more numerous than the sands of the beach and the stars of the sky. The love of creator or parent for a child are like the promises to Abraham.

What heartache and grief is there when this bond between creator or parent and child is torn asunder. If by accident or willful sin this bond is severed how deep a grief is inflicted on all involved. Philomena explores the deep grief of a child separated from mother. The Bible explores the deep grief of a sinful separation between God and creation.

Philomena shows the deep longing and the extremes a mother will go to be restored to her child. The Bible shows the deep love and the extremes that God will go to be restored to those made in God's image.

How might parent or creator respond to the heartache of being separated from child?

Perhaps by running down the driveway to welcome the lost one coming home (see Luke 15)

Perhaps by becoming inconsolably despondent (read the newspapers, watch the news)

Perhaps by pouring love into the life of another who has also suffered such a separation (thank God for foster parents)

Perhaps like a bitter journalist with a huge chip on his shoulder towards God (see Philomena)

Perhaps like a faithful woman walking through life in prayer and hope despite all the odds (see Philomena)

Perhaps movies have something to say to us about faith. Do we have ears to hear?


God, we thank you for your weighty and loving thoughts toward us. We thank you that we are laid bare before you yet you love us completely. You have made us for love and for joy. Help us reflect those towards you and bear them towards the world. Amen.

No comments: