Thursday, May 1, 2014

e-vo for week of April 30

Dearest e-votees-

This week we'll linger in the appointed Psalm for this coming Sunday.

Peace,
Karl

------------

1 I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my supplications.
2 Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord: “O Lord, I pray, save my life!”

12 What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.
16 O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the Lord!


Psalm 116:1-4, 12-19, NRSV

I can't help but be drawn into sacramental imagery when I read this Psalm.

We are born ensnared by death. The "pangs of Sheol" have us bound up. We suffer and are distressed and are in anguish in our unredeemed state.

We cry (when we grow old enough) and before that the community cries "O Lord, we pray, save this life!"

God pours out heaven's bounty of love, grace, forgiveness and salvation upon us. We are saved through God's doing.

In response we lift up the cup of God's salvation and call on the name of the Lord (communion?)

We live into the vows that we make and that the community, even before we could speak, made on our behalf.

Precious in God's sight is the death of God's faithful ones (death in baptism?). Our bonds our loosed (freedom in baptism!).

In response we can live a sacrificial life of service ("Let your light so shine before others...") bringing glory to God.


God, You have loved us and loosed us. Help us use that freedom to love You and others and help them be set free. Amen.

No comments: