Wednesday, February 4, 2015

e-vo for week of February 4

Dearest e-votees-

Preach the gospel, use words if necessary.
~ St. Francis of Assisi

They are necessary, tell them about Jesus.
~ James Burtness of Luther Seminary

How do we carry ourselves in the world, in word and in deed, so that others can hear of the good news of Jesus Christ? What things might we do in order to help us be more effective in preaching Christ? What things might we not do in order to help us be more effective? How might we change and adapt to be better bearers of the gospel? What must never change or be forsaken in our attempts to have the gospel heard through our lives?

This week's epistle lesson helps us understand Paul's thinking on these important questions.

Peace,
Karl

------------

16 If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel.

19 For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.


1 Corinthians 9:16-23, NRSV

If we truly understand how we have been freed and forgiven on the cross then we would hopefully wish to spread that freedom and forgiveness to others as well. If we have been invited to the great banquet feast then hopefully we would bring a guest or two with us to the banquet which has no end and which we could never begin to deserve. If the gospel is good news for us only we haven't really been fully transformed yet. God's grace is too big to keep to ourselves.

So what are we willing to be or become in order to bear that good news to the world? Paul says that he has become all things to all people so that some might be saved. He ticks off a selection of ways that he has carried himself in the world to bring the good news to a variety of people. What circles do you inhabit? What subsets of humanity do you call your own? How can God use you in those circles to bear the light of Christ? What new circles may God be leading you into? Is there anywhere you would not go for Christ? Where would you not go? Why not? (just something to think and pray about)

What traits and self-understandings are integral to who you are? What aspects do you understand to be yours and given to you by God? While Paul speaks as if he was a social chameleon for the sake of the gospel there was a core to him that was not shaken. What are your core values? What are your core beliefs? When all the dross is burned away what of you is left in the smelting chamber--shiny and pure that bears the likeness of God? What might be your uncompromisable essence?

The thing is that the world has a remarkably good sense for detecting inauthenticity. When we carry ourselves as we truly are not the world knows. When we try to obscure what is truly bedrock in our lives the world knows. I am a little troubled by churches that strip their denominational titles away from their church identity. Perhaps it is wise as it removes stumbling blocks for entry into the community--if so, there had better be some clear presentation of beliefs through worship and teaching. Hidden agendas don't play well in the world. People aren't fond of bait and switch.

Bottom line, we should be unapologetically the sort of people and Christians that God has led us to be. Rather than apologizing (saying we're sorry) we should be making apology (giving defense of) our hope in the gospel. We do it for the sake of the gospel. We do it for the sake of the world for whom God so loved and gave up Jesus to the cross. We do it for the sake of those in the world who need that love as desperately as we do.

God, help us preach the gospel in season and out of season, in word and in deeds, among familiar circles and when surrounded by unusual circumstances and people. Help us learn how to adapt with wisdom, compassion and grace when necessary to forward the gospel. Help us cultivate resolve and courage to stand firm where compromise is not an option. Amen.

No comments: