Friday, March 20, 2015

e-vo for week of March 18

Dearest e-votees-

How is the church to go about welcoming seekers and visitors? This Sunday's appointed text offers a little juxtaposition to how churches often go about welcoming new folks.

Peace,
Karl

------------

20 Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. 21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.

27 “Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, “An angel has spoken to him.” 30 Jesus answered, “This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” 33 He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die


John 12:20-33, NRSV

Our gospel text for this Sunday has some Greeks who are interested in seeing Jesus. They approach Philip. Philip enlists Andrew. Philip and Andrew go and tell Jesus.

[PAUSE]

[FAST FORWARD]
to modern times at a church near you--perhaps yours


A new visitor walks into the church. They want to know more about the church. They approach an usher named Philip. Philip enlists Andrea, the hospitality coordinator. Philip and Andrea take the visitor to the welcome desk. "Hello, we're so glad you're here." They proceed to tell the visitor about all of the programs they have at the church. They give some welcome brochures, a coffee mug with the church logo and a cute little bag labeled "Holy Grounds" with a pot's worth of gourmet beans. They also give a fresh loaf of bread and a warm invitation to come in for fellowship hour. "Please make sure to let us know whatever we can do for you. We would love to be of service to you and your family. This church is all about being alive!!!"

[PAUSE]

[REWIND]
to Jesus' time in Jerusalem around Passover time again,


Jesus seeing the new people continues with his teaching: "The time has come for me to be crucified." (what "glorified" means in the Gospel of John) "I have to die in order for fruit and new life to be born. My servants need to be about the same rhythm of death and life. Those who want to be part of me must take up their crosses and follow after me." The Bible neglects to record what the response by the Greeks was.

[PAUSE]

[FAST FORWARD]
back to modern times to the welcome desk.


The visitor starts looking over the gifts, the wares, the enticements and the programs. "How does this church stack up against the other three I have visited this month? What's here for me. What do I get when I sign onto membership here? What does this have to improve my life?"

[STOP]



Questions to ponder:

1. How did we move so far from "take up your cross" to "here's your swag bag"?

2. Is it a victory for the church and/or the kingdom of God if they stay for the wrong reasons?

3. What does it mean to center our welcome around the foot of the cross?


God, forgive us for making your church look so much like the world. Help us abide in you and welcome those who come seeking to see the real Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

April said...

By "swap" I understand you to say "this for that" or "quid pro quo." We parishioners seek fairness or a "good deal" instead of asking what we can do for our church. Seems like the readings suggest that when we serve Jesus we honor the name of God and he honors us. Oh, to serve without thought of recompense!

Thanks Karl!