Monday, June 29, 2015

e-vo for week of July 1

Dearest e-votees,

We live in a world that is overly fixated on being the best, the strongest, the fastest, etc., etc.

What if we heard God say to us clear as a bell "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness."?

Peace,
Karl

------------

2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven--whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person--whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows--4 was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. 5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses.

6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated.

8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.


2 Corinthians 12:2-10, NRSV

Paul had the credentials. He was of the right lineage. He was schooled well. He had good grades. He had power and influence. He had Roman citizenship. He was a complete package.

If one were to look for a strong leader for the early church Paul, once he stopped being Saul the stoning-approving coatrack, was a strong candidate. Paul was like any of King David's brothers when Nathan was looking for the next king to anoint. But God opted for a Paul who had some sort of thorn in his flesh. He was more like David--not the most likely to succeed. But God declared that power was made perfect in weakness.

Are you more stuck on yourself or stuck with some thorn in the flesh? Are you praying like the Pharisee in the front of the temple or more like the chest-pounding publican in the rear? Are you trusting in your own powers or are you resting in God's grace which is sufficient? Is it about works or grace for you?

I believe that the nature of Paul's thorn is obscured in scripture so we can take these verses to heart as well. Whatever pain or lack or struggle we have in the flesh is not an excuse for us. It is a pointer to God's grace. If we insist on putting ourselves and our abilities in the center we will falter badly. If we trust God in the center of our life then we will have what we need purely and surely by God's grace.


God, thank you for thorns. Thank you for deep and abiding promises that you can work all thorny situations for good for those who love you and are called according to your purpose. Amen.

No comments: