Thursday, December 15, 2011

e-vo for week of December 14

Dearest e-votees-

I hope and pray this devotion finds you well as you continue to wait and linger and prepare for Christmas this year as well as when Jesus comes again in glory.

May your time with friends and family, traveling and sharing, exchanging gifts, singing songs, participating in worship all be good and blessed.

Peace,
Karl

------------

1 I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever; with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations. 2 I declare that your steadfast love is established forever; your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens. 3 You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to my servant David: 4 ‘I will establish your descendants forever, and build your throne for all generations.’ ” Selah

19 Then you spoke in a vision to your faithful one, and said: “I have set the crown on one who is mighty, I have exalted one chosen from the people. 20 I have found my servant David; with my holy oil I have anointed him; 21 my hand shall always remain with him; my arm also shall strengthen him. 22 The enemy shall not outwit him, the wicked shall not humble him. 23 I will crush his foes before him and strike down those who hate him. 24 My faithfulness and steadfast love shall be with him; and in my name his horn shall be exalted. 25 I will set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers. 26 He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation!’ 27 I will make him the firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth. 28 Forever I will keep my steadfast love for him, and my covenant with him will stand firm. 29 I will establish his line forever, and his throne as long as the heavens endure."

Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26, NRSV

Do you ever wonder what difference your life makes? Once you have died what will be remembered? What lasting impact will your name carry 10 years after you are gone? 50 years after you are gone? 200 years after you are gone? Who decides how important someone is and how lasting their legacy should be? Does it matter to you if you and your name are remembered or not?

David is still powerfully remembered. He is not as much remembered for what he did as for who God called him to be and who God brought out of his lineage. One of ways we might let people know who we are and how important we are is through our connections with other people. We’ve all met namedroppers. We all know people who are wealthy and famous and paid attention to because of their parents or other well-known ancestors. Paris Hilton is a classic example of someone who received what she had and has been much the center of attention because of it. Promises and gifts and responsibilities are given to family members. Promises made to family members can bring great blessings and great responsibility.

We are joined to Jesus and through him to this lineage of David. We receive great blessings and responsibility solely based on the fact that God has made us God’s own—much like David. We will be remembered by God because our names are written in the book of life. We may not be remembered so very vividly by the world because of our actions and our accomplishments. That’s okay. That is not to say what we do doesn’t matter. We matter to God and we have vocations to tend. We have families to love. We have good news to share. We are part of God’s family and that brings great blessings and great responsibility. It all matters.

God has made a steadfast covenant with David and with us. We can rest (Selah) in that great truth. God’s love and forgiveness and grace and covenant stands firm. Thanks be to God.


Dear God, you always deliver on your promises. They are brought to pass in Jesus who is the yes and amen to all your promises. Help us wait for him again in the manger and as he readies to come in clouds. Help us spread the word of our savior, our brother, our friend and our Lord Jesus. Amen.

No comments: