Friday, November 6, 2015

e-vo for week of November 4

Dearest e-votees,

I can't help but think Jesus is talking about me in the first paragraph of this Sunday's gospel reading. Perhaps it feels pointed at you as well.

Peace,
Karl

------------

38 As [Jesus] taught, he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, 39 and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets! 40 They devour widows’ houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”

41 He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. 43 Then he called his disciples and said to them, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. 44 For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”


John 12:38-44, NRSV

So Jesus says beware of the scribes (as I am busy electronically scribing this devotion to you). Beware of those who like to walk around in long robes (I don't know if I always like it but I certainly don an alb and stole on a regular basis). Beware of those who like to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces (who doesn't like a kind and deferential greeting when we are out in the world?). Beware of those who like to have the best seats in the synagogues and at banquets (okay, I'd rather be on the fringes here). They say long prayers (guilty as charged) and devour the houses of widows (not intentionally but I have turned a blind eye to the plight of others who are struggling--that is most certainly true).

I find more resonances than not with the description of the one Jesus warns about. Let those, including me, who have ears hear.

I want to share with you an experience I had long ago that still propels offerings and stewardship in my life:

I was in Mexico on a mission trip. We were in a long-winded (3 hour) worship service that was all in Spanish. I had trouble following much of what was happening. At one point, however, the offering plate came around. I knew what to do here--or did I?

I had (as I opened my wallet) two bills--a $20 and a $1. This $21 was all I had for an offering and for my meal money over the next 36 hours or so as we were about to board our bus for the return trip. I briefly pondered making change but that would a. look tacky and b. leave me with a pesos which weren't so easy to spend in the U.S. I realized my choice was no offering (not an option), $1, $20 or $21.

I had a sense come over me that I should put in the $20. I impulsively did. I now had $1 to eat for the next day and a half. I spent the rest of worship doing calculations of how I could best stretch $1 over the next meals (perhaps a bag of combos at the Texas panhandle and something like Jujubes once we reached Iowa?).

Later that day someone in our group (who as far as I know had no knowledge of my offering) came up to me and said "God wants for you to have this" and gave me a $20 bill. Never before or since has this person done anything like that with me. I was floored.

What I learned is that when God prompts me to give I can give and trust that provision will come. My giving has never been the same. I don't think this was a prescriptive model of how I should always give but I was deeply impressed by God's care for me at that time and I trust and believe it will always be there for me.

Bottom line, in a very small way, I was like the widow. I put nearly all I had into the offering plate. I didn't make a big show of it. But God noticed and lifted up that meager offering and made it something much deeper and lasting. Truth is that we don't know what the widow's intentions were--sacrificial giving trusting God to provide? Maybe. Last offering before giving up all hope and the ghost? (like the widow of Zarephath making a last meal for her son and herself) Maybe. Impulsive offering with no clear plan? Quite possibly.

I share my story not to say "Look at me, look at me!" as perhaps the long-robed scribe would in the marketplace. I share my story to say "Look at God, look at God!" God did a profound and miraculous thing some 28 years ago and it is still bearing fruit. In the risk and the daring of an impulsive gift to God I received it all back and so much more. Perhaps as you consider your giving and stewardship you might like the Holy Spirit blow you to an impulsive and blessed place.


God, help us grow in trusting you. Stir us to be bold and trusting in our benevolence. Help us beware of those Jesus describes and help us to distance our own behaviors from them. Amen.


No comments: