Sunday, August 23, 2020

August 23 "Who do you say that I am?"

Dearest e-votees,

Featured in this morning's gospel text is Jesus asking the disciples "But who do you say that I am?"  There are all sorts of ideas being floated about who people think Jesus is.  But Jesus isn't focusing on what the crowd may think but rather what the disciples are thinking and saying.

It sets the stage for Peter's bold confession of Jesus as the Messiah.  How would you answer that question were Jesus to ask you directly:  "Who do you say that I am?"

Peace,

Karl

------------

Peter answers Jesus' question well but Jesus said that he didn't do that on his own but through God speaking through him.  It is hard for us to discern on our own who this Jesus really is--particularly since we are so far removed geographically, culturally and temporally from the portion of earth where Jesus lived, died and lived again; ministered and taught.  We certainly need God's help and inspiration in order to respond to Jesus' question well.  

Maybe it would serve well, as well, to consider the question:  "Who does God say that I am?"  If you had to offer a response to who God has made you to be, loved you to be, called you to be what might you say?

  • God says I am loved.
  • God says I am forgiven.
  • God says I was created in God's image (imago dei).
  • God says I have been set free and released.
  • God says I have been called and equipped.
  • God says I have a hand as part of the church in loosing things on earth.
  • God says I have a hand as part of the church in binding things on earth.
  • God says I am part of the community with the Trinity.
What else might you add to this list that God says about you?

As we live into these things we become more open and able to have God more fully revealed to us.  We grow into knowing that Jesus is Messiah.  We grow into building our lives more fully around him and finding our life through him.


God, show us who you are.  God, show us who we are in you and through you.  Help us engage others that they may know the promises made to them by God and what there identity is and can be.  Amen.

No comments: