Saturday, November 21, 2020

Thankfulness

Dearest e-votees,

One of my favorite Biblical passages is Philippians 1:3-6:

I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now. I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ. (NRSV)

It seems a good passage to linger with as we lean into Thanksgiving.

Peace,

Karl

+ + +

When I studied Philippians at seminary it was in a class called Prison Epistles.  This is one of Paul's letters that we believe was written while he was imprisoned.  It is likely towards the end of his life when he is nearing his martyrdom from the business end of a Roman sword.

As Paul reflects on this relationship with the saints at Philippi he has two responses:  thankfulness and sustained prayer.  Think about the sustained relationships you have throughout your life.  Are you able to give thanks for those people every time you remember them?  I wish I was as gracious and loving as Paul holds himself out to be.  Do you constantly remember with you in all your prayers for those people?  Again, I wish I was as gracious and loving as Paul holds himself out to be.  Sometimes I suspect that Paul might be overselling himself.  Nonetheless verses 3 and 4 serve as aspirational goals for me in any community in which I find myself--particularly faith communities that I am blessed to serve.

What truly resonates with me in this passage is verse 6.  Paul expresses steadfast confidence that the one who began a good work among you (I believe this to be God, not the mission-planter Paul) will bring it to completion.  When a baby (or an adult convert for that matter) is baptized God begins a good work which will be brought to completion.  When someone engages the work of reconciliation God is in that work and it will be brought to completion (at least to do the good that the effort can if not 100% reconciliation).  When we wrestle in fervent prayer, seek to see Christ in our neighbors and those who aren't our neighbors yet, step further along the costly path of discipleship those faith endeavors (begun by God) will be brought to completion.  

I want you to know:  I thank God for you.  I thank God for God's stirrings in your life that will be brought to completion.  When I pray for you (which is never enough, let alone constantly) I give thanks and find joy.  Have a blessed celebration of Thanksgiving (whether incarnational or virtual) with friends and loved ones.  You are a blessing.  I see the image of God (imago dei) in you.

Peace and blessings,

Karl